- •End-to-end radiotherapy audits have been performed on 94 occasions in Australia.
- •Conformal fields were assessed on an anthropomorphic thorax phantom.
- •Dose after lung measured low for analytical anisotropic algorithm (AAA) calculations.
- •AAA also overestimated dose in tangential fields as used in breast cancer treatments.
- •AAA underestimated dose to points inside lung inhomogeneities.
- •Superposition and convolution algorithms had problems with large angle wedges.
Background and purpose
Materials and methods
- Kerns J.R.
- Followill D.S.
- Lowenstein J.
- Molineu A.
- Alvarez P.
- Taylor P.A.
- et al.
2. Material and methods
2.1 Australian Clinical Dosimetry Service
2.2 Onsite audit
2.3 Dosimetry equipment
2.4 Audit phantom
2.5 Audit cases and measurement locations
2.6 Audit scoring
3.1 Linac output/Reference
3.2 PDD modelling
3.3 Lung inhomogeneity
3.5 Overall outcomes
- Kry S.F.
- Alvarez P.
- Molineu A.
- Amador C.
- Galvin J.
- Followill D.S.
Conflict of interest
Appendix A. Supplementary data
- Supplementary data 1
- Supplementary data 2
- Supplementary data 3
- Critical impact of radiotherapy protocol compliance and quality in the treatment of advanced head and neck cancer: results from TROG 02.02.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2996-3001
- Dosimetry for audit and clinical trials: challenges and requirements.J Phys Conf Ser. 2013; 444: 012014
- Quality Assurance for Clinical Trials.Front Oncol. 2013; 3: 311
- Analysis of regional radiotherapy dosimetry audit data and recommendations for future audits.Br J Radiol. 2011; 84: 733-742
- Quality assurance of dosimetry and the impact on sample size in randomized clinical trials.Radiother Oncol. 2008; 86: 195-199
- Global availability of dosimetry audits in radiotherapy: The IAEA dosimetry audit networks database.Phys Imag Radiat Oncol. 2018; 5: 1-4
- Radiotherapy dosimetry audit: three decades of improving standards and accuracy in UK clinical practice and trials.Br J Radiol. 2015; 88: 20150251
- Radiotherapy reference dose audit in the United Kingdom by the National Physical Laboratory: 20 years of consistency and improvements.Phys Imag Radiat Oncol. 2017; 3: 21-27
- A multi-institutional dosimetry audit of rotational intensity-modulated radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 113: 272-278
- A methodology for dosimetry audit of rotational radiotherapy using a commercial detector array.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 108: 78-85
- UK SABR Consortium lung dosimetry audit; Relative dosimetry results.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 115: S74-S75
- Design, development, and implementation of the radiological physics center's pelvis and thorax anthropomorphic quality assurance phantoms.Med Phys. 2007; 34: 2070-2076
- Independent evaluations of IMRT through the use of an anthropomorphic phantom.Technol Cancer Research Treatment. 2006; 5: 481-487
- The Radiological Physics Center: 40 years of vigilance and quality assurance for NCI sponsored clinical trials.SSDL Newslett. 2010; : 25-30
- Institutional patient-specific IMRT QA does not predict unacceptable plan delivery.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: 1195-1201
- A six-year review of more than 13,000 patient-specific IMRT QA results from 13 different treatment sites.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2014; 15: 4935
- Agreement between institutional measurements and treatment planning system calculations for basic dosimetric parameters as measured by the imaging and radiation oncology core-Houston.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 95: 1527-1534
- Radiation therapy deficiencies identified during on-site dosimetry visits by the imaging and radiation oncology core Houston quality assurance center.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 99: 1094-1100
- Development of a modified head and neck quality assurance phantom for use in stereotactic radiosurgery trials.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2013; 14: 4313
- Angular dependence of the response of the nanoDot OSLD system for measurements at depth in clinical megavoltage beams.Med Phys. 2014; 41: 061712
- Angular dependence of the nanoDot OSL dosimeter.Med Phys. 2011; 38: 3955-3962
- Radiochromic film: role and applications in radiation dosimetry.CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton2018
- A 2D ion chamber array audit of wedged and asymmetric fields in an inhomogeneous lung phantom.Med Phys. 2014; 41: 101712
- An on-site dosimetry audit for high-energy electron beams.Phys Imag Radiat Oncol. 2018; 5: 44-51
- Virtual EPID standard phantom audit (VESPA) for remote IMRT and VMAT credentialing.Phys Med Biol. 2017; 62: 4293-4299
- Remote dosimetric auditing for intensity modulated radiotherapy: A pilot study.Phys Imag Radiat Oncol. 2017; 4: 26-31
- Comprehensive Australasian multicentre dosimetric intercomparison: issues, logistics and recommendations.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2009; 53: 119-131
- Credentialing of radiotherapy centres for a clinical trial of adaptive radiotherapy for bladder cancer (TROG 10.01).Radiother Oncol. 2012; 103: 293-298
- A multi-centre dosimetry audit on advanced radiotherapy in lung as part of the Isotoxic IMRT study.Phys Imag Radiat Oncol. 2017; 4: 17-21
- The Australian Clinical Dosimetry Service: a commentary on the first 18 months.Australas Phys Eng Sci Med. 2012; 35: 407-411
- Challenges in credentialing institutions and participants in advanced technology multi-institutional clinical trials.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 71: S71-S75
- Commissioning of radiotherapy treatment planning systems: Testing for typical external beam treatment techniques.International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna2008
- Commissioning of optically stimulated luminescence dosimeters for use in radiotherapy.Radiat Meas. 2013; 51–52: 31-39
- The Australian Clinical Dosimetry Service: the development and delivery of a national dosimetry audit. World congress on medical physics and biomedical engineering May 26–31, 2012.Springer, Beijing, China2013: 1215-1218
- Remote auditing of radiotherapy facilities using optically stimulated luminescence dosimeters.Med Phys. 2014; 41: 032102
- National dosimetric audit network finds discrepancies in AAA lung inhomogeneity corrections.Phys Med. 2015; 31: 435-441
- Radiation therapists and Level III audits by the Australian Clinical Dosimetry Service.Spectrum. 2012; 19: 14-17
- Absorbed dose determination in external beam radiotherapy: An international code of practice for dosimetry based on standards of absorbed dose to water.International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna2000
- Linear array measurements of enhanced dynamic wedge and treatment planning system (TPS) calculation for 15 MV photon beam and comparison with electronic portal imaging device (EPID) measurements.Radiol Oncol. 2010; 44: 199-206
- Algorithms used in heterogeneous dose calculations show systematic differences as measured with the Radiological Physics Center's anthropomorphic thorax phantom used for RTOG credentialing.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 85: e95-e100
- The role of dosimetry audit in lung SBRT multi-centre clinical trials.Phys Med. 2017; 44: 171-176
- The photon dose calculation algorithm used in breast radiotherapy has significant impact on the parameters of radiobiological models.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2014; 15: 259-269
- Comparison of 3D conformal breast radiation treatment plans using the anisotropic analytical algorithm and pencil beam convolution algorithm.Radiother Oncol. 2012; 103: 172-177
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy